Heres what my kale looked like this week:
I found it at the commissary. I haven’t found any kale off base. Well, to be honest…. I haven’t looked very hard. Whatevs, go to the commisscary. Buy kale, bacon, chicken breasts and light tasting olive oil. Then go to the gate three market and buy a permission and some eggs.
This is an awesome lunch but start making this at breakfast time- trust me on this!
Step 1: Make breakfast with a side of bacon. Set aside a few pieces for your lunch.
Step 2: Brine your chicken. Say whaaaaat? Yes. Do it- trust me. Get a big ol’ zip locked bag. Fill it with:
- 8 cups water
- 3 T Kosher Salt
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 T coconut aminos
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 t coriander seeds
- 2 t whole black peppercorns
- 1 package of chicken breasts- thawed
- **everything is from the commissary except the aminos. The original recipe called for cumin seeds, but I haven’t them**
It looked gross- so I didn’t take a picture. You’re welcome. Then leave. Take your kids to school or walk your dog. Go to the 0845 wod, go shopping at the BX, do whatever you do. Then come home. And prepare yourself… and your salad.
Step 3: Preheat oven to “BROIL”.
Step 4: Dice your kale and throw it in a bowl. Squeeze some lemon on it, massage it like you mean it, and set it aside. Been there, huh?
Step 5: Take your chicken out of its salt bath and rinse it off. Set it in a colander to drip dry.
Step 6: Make your rub:
- 1 T cumin
- 1 T curry powder
- 1/2 T chipotle pepper
- 1/2 T allspice
- 1/2 T cinnamon
- 1 t ground black pepper—(if you have a pepper in a shaker… throw it away. Please use fresh ground pepper…. for everything.)
- **each of these I got at the commissary… the original recipe called for cumin seeds, but I haven’t them**
Mix all the spices up and add a Tablespoon or two of melted ghee or coconut oil to create a paste. Spoon the paste over each breast of chicken and massage it. Yes… massage those breasts. Do it. It’s only weird if you make it weird.
Step 7: Put chicken in the oven on the top rack for 7ish minutes. Flip it over and 7 more minutes. If there are beads of solid white pearls on the top of your chicken- it is done. If it’s not, put it back in the oven until juices run clear or it’s no longer pink inside.
Step 8: Assemble your salad:
- 1/4 c mayo
- 2 mint leaves diced super small
- 3 sprigs of parsley diced super small
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- salt and pepper